Electric Yellow (Labidichromis)Country of Origin: 🇺🇸USA
Needing a cool fish to add to your African cichlid tank? Check out Electric Yellow Cichlids!
- Pretty Peaceful, get along well with other Mbunas
- Beautiful color throughout!
- Comes in a variety of sizes!
The Electric Yellow Cichlid is a popular freshwater fish naturally found on the rocky shores of Lake Malawi, East Africa. Its striking yellow coloration sets it apart from other African Cichlids.
These species are peaceful and shy as compared to other African cichlids. However, they still display distinct social and territorial behaviors and act aggressively towards other fish with similar body shapes and colors perceived to be competition for food and mates.
Electric Yellow Cichlids are usually about 5 inches long and hence require a sizeable tank that will offer open swimming areas and caves, which is the most preferred setting for these species. The aquarium would optimally be 30 gallons, including a sandy bottom, robust plants, caves, and rocks with water of temperature 27°C and a pH of 7.8.
The average lifespan of the Electric Yellow Cichlids is about 6 to 10 years if taken care of properly with the appropriate diet and suitable surroundings.
Electric Yellow Cichlids are opportunistic omnivores and very easy to feed. They need greens and meaty foods, preferably invertebrates such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, and larvae.
For greens, the Electric Yellow Cichlids should be given algae, spinach, lettuce, and peas. They will also require quality flakes or pellet food containing vegetable matter and small amounts of protein-based foods to ensure a balanced diet essential for proper growth and breeding.
Since Electric Yellow Cichlids are opportunistic eaters, to avoid overfeeding them, they should be fed several times a day and only what they can consume in a few minutes.
Due to the Electric Yellow Cichlids’ peaceful and shy nature, they are compatible with many peaceful or semi-aggressive species that don’t pose a threat to their food and mates. They can be kept not only with other mbuna but also with peacocks and other less aggressive African fish.
Some of the Electric Yellow Cichlids’ most compatible tank mates are;
- Zebra Cichlids
- Yellow Tail Acei Cichlids
- Blue Dolphin Cichlids
- Rusty Cichlid
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you tell the difference between male and female Electric Yellow Cichlids?
The male Electric Yellow Cichlids is the bigger species topping out at 4 to 5 inches long while the female stays considerably smaller - 2 to 3 inches in length.
The male and female Electric yellow Cichlids are both brightly colored, but the dominant male will have an intense golden color and develop faint vertical charcoal stripes as they age while females do not.
Are Yellow Lab Cichlids aggressive?
Yellow lab Cichlids are usually very peaceful but will portray aggression to other males of other species if they pose as competition for food and mates and when the aquarium is understocked.
Scientific Name: Labidochromis caeruleus
Origin: Lake Malawi, Africa
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish but shipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be UPS Next Day Air unless otherwise noted. Processing fish for your order can take up to 2 business days. This is to ensure your fish and healthy, happy, and ready to be put in your tank when it arrives. We ship fish on Mondays- Wednesday (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping and ensure they are healthy prior to arrive at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensure they maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures the health and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only the continental United States.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.