The Red Zebra African Cichlid is one of the most popular fish in Lake Malawi and can be found among all levels of society. African Cichlids are a mouth-brooding variety of fish, and typically it is easy to breed them if given the proper tank set-up.
Originating from Africa, some types will lay up to 60 eggs then scoop the eggs into their mouths where the male fertilizes the eggs, and within 12 18 days, they release the fry.
The Red Zebra Cichlid Appearance
The Red Zebra looks similar to a yellow color at first glance and is often quite brilliant in the wild. However, it does not have the zebra stripes like others in the same gene or species.
Red Zebras have bright orange-red scales with faint traces of blue and yellow spots on the dorsal and anal fins like other mbuna fish. Unlike most other zebra species, though, females usually display richer colors than males!
These Fish are Very Popular Despite Their Unique Demands.
They have striking colors, intriguing behavioral characteristics, and relative hardiness, making them thrive in the home aquarium environment.
This fish species has a reputation for being the most creative when it comes to decorating an aquarium. Owners often find that this unique creature will rearrange all their pebbles, plants, and other decorative items to create spaces where they feel comfortable - sometimes even going so far as moving everything out of reach.
Often, the Red Zebra will seek to maximize the size of their chosen "home" by creating a pit underneath a covered shelter.
Males will sometimes kill each other when competing over females or territory, so an adequate amount of space must be given; otherwise, fatalities may occur due to intense aggression between males who cannot find enough space for themselves within the tank.
Red Zebra is the type of animal that needs to establish territory and can become aggressive with other tank mates.
The Diet of the Red Zebra Cichlid
When the red zebra cichlid is in its natural habitat of Lake Malawi, its food source consists mainly of algae and other plant life.
However, when they are placed into a home aquarium environment or pet store tank, these fish will eat typical cichlid foods and some vegetables and freeze-dried aquatic fauna every so often for treats.
Red Zebra Cichlids are fish known for their variety and flexibility when it comes to eating. They will eat anything from fresh vegetables, algae pellets, or even meaty soft foods like shrimp.
High protein/fat foods such as bloodworms should be avoided due to the potential for Malawi Bloat - one of the most common diseases seen in African cichlids.
One of the most beautiful fish in an aquarium is Red Zebras. The bold color and personality make them a fantastic addition to any home full of people who love fish.
What is the Lifespan of a Red Zebra Cichlid?
Red Zebra can live up to 10-12 years if kept in appropriate conditions for this species.
How big do Red Zebra African cichlids get?
These fish can get up to 6 inches in length. Make sure to give these fish a nice varied diet that contains plant matter an
Why get the Red Zebra African Cichlid?
Great with other Mbuna African Cichlids
Great color addition to your tank!
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive.We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish butshipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer.If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be 2-day unless otherwise noted. We shipfish on Mondays and Tuesdays only (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping andensure they are healthy prior to arriving at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensurethey maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures thehealth and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only thecontinental United States and are unable to ship to P.O. boxes, must bephysical address.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive.We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense.If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish:What We Like About This Fish:⠀ Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums⠀ Compatible with many invertebrates⠀ Adults display brilliant red and blue coloration⠀ Active and easy to feed