Blue Crawfish ( Procambarus alleni)Country of Origin: 🇺🇸USA
Blue Crayfish for Sale
Blue Crayfish are some of the most colorful and beautiful freshwater animals around today. Their eye-catching electric blue shell makes them extremely popular with aquarium enthusiasts nationwide. They even temporarily change colors during the molting process.
Also known as the Electric Blue Freshwater Lobster (although lobsters don’t dwell in freshwater), the gorgeous specimens call the Southeastern United States their home and spend most of their time traversing river floors scavenging for food. They are omnivorous creatures and enjoy munching on both small animals and plants in between meals. Since Blue Crayfish eat just about anything, avoid placing ornamental plants in their tank as they will eat and destroy them at a surprisingly fast rate. Instead, put rocks, PVC pipes, and driftwoods for the blue crayfish to hide amongst.
Blue Crayfish require a well-filtered aquarium that holds a minimum of 30 gallons. They are very skilled climbers and sometimes try to escape their tank, making taller aquariums the preferred choice among owners. Blue Crayfish are high-quality specimens that are perfect for newcomers looking to dive into the hobby as well as long-time aquarium aficionados.
Blue Crayfish are very territorial and don’t play well with others. They will attempt to eat anything that comes across their path, so separating them from other fish is a good idea. However, they live relatively peacefully with other Blue Crayfish as long as you have a large tank with plenty of rocks and driftwoods they can hide and climb on. Some people mix Blue Crayfish with fast swimming upper and mid-level fish, but most don't recommend combining the species.
As stated before, Blue Crayfish aren’t picky eaters and will eat nearly anything they catch. Plants, sinking pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried meat-based foods are among the most popular Blue Crayfish feeds. Many owners also add cuttlebone to their aquarium to help their Blue Crayfish’s exoskeleton production.
What does it mean when a crayfish is blue?
The blue colorations typically mean the crayfish completed its molting process. Most temporarily change colors as they molt but get their beautiful electric blue color back after two weeks. If you receive a non-blue Crayfish, it’s probably going through the molting process and will begin regaining its color shortly.
What is the rarest type of crayfish?
Blue Crayfish are some of the rarest breeds, although pure white Crayfish are the rarest. However, experts often describe pure white Crayfish as a “once in a lifetime” find.
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish but shipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be UPS Next Day Air unless otherwise noted. Processing fish for your order can take up to 2 business days. This is to ensure your fish and healthy, happy, and ready to be put in your tank when it arrives. We ship fish on Mondays- Wednesday (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping and ensure they are healthy prior to arrive at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensure they maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures the health and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only the continental United States.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.