Chocolate Bristlenose PlecosCountry of Origin: 🇺🇸USA
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos originally come from South America, specifically Amazon and Rio Negro waters. They like to linger near the coastline in their natural habitats, using underwater plants, rocks, and logs as cover to go about their day unbothered.
A typical Chocolate Bristlenose, as the name implies, has brown scales speckled with white or yellow dots. Their fins are similarly colored, though their bottom portions tend to be a lighter shade. There’s minimal dimorphism between males and females of the species; however, one way to differentiate the two sexes is the bristles on their faces. Male bristles are denser than female bristles and tend to have offshoots from the central protrusion.
In captivity, Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos make for excellent bottom feeders. While they can’t clean a whole tank by themselves, they’ll eat any leftover food that falls to the bottom of your aquarium, keeping it cleaner for longer.
To ensure that your Bristlenose lives a good, long life, it’s vital to cater your tank to their specific needs. For example, they can grow up to 5 inches long and need an aquarium that can hold a minimum of 20 gallons. Additionally, while they can survive at temperatures as high as 82°F, 78°F ensures their comfort.
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos are a largely peaceful species of fish that rarely show aggression toward their tankmates, preferring to hide among the tank decor instead. Unfortunately, their timid nature makes them easy prey for larger, more aggressive fish. For a more peaceful aquarium, other Bristlenoses are an option, but they can also get along with other small community fish species.
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos are omnivores, so there isn’t much their digestion can’t handle. Therefore, their diet should consist of vegetable flakes, algae wafers, and frozen or live food such as bloodworms. Additionally, the Bristlenose often eats wood, so be sure to include driftwood among the tank’s decor to accommodate them.
How many Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos should be kept in one tank?
Experts recommend that each Chocolate Bristlenose Pleco should get 10 gallons worth of space. Following that rule, a 20-gallon tank (the minimum size for a Bristlenose) can comfortably hold two of the fish.
How fast do Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos grow?
A Chocolate Bristlenose Pleco will reach sexual maturity (4 inches long) in about a year. Growth slows down significantly after that, so most Bristlenoses only reach 5 inches in length by the end of year two.
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish but shipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be UPS Next Day Air unless otherwise noted. Processing fish for your order can take up to 2 business days. This is to ensure your fish and healthy, happy, and ready to be put in your tank when it arrives. We ship fish on Mondays- Wednesday (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping and ensure they are healthy prior to arrive at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensure they maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures the health and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only the continental United States.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos
nice healthy fish arrived on time and safe
Chocolate Bristlenose Plecos