The White Crawfish is also known as the White Specter Crayfish, White Lobster, Vanilla Lobster, or Vanilla Crawfish. “Lobster” here is a misnomer, as these are fresh-water crustaceans.
Unlike their more timid relatives, White Crawfish scavenge the tank for any scraps of food. In addition, they’re omnivorous, eating plants and fish. Therefore, it’s not wise to keep them in a tank with live plants as they’ll consume the plant matter voraciously, even when they have other food sources.
The White Crawfish are territorial and can be very aggressive. In a tank with multiple crayfish, it’s important to provide many places to hide and clean the water regularly.
The males are larger than the females but have smaller abdomens. They also have an additional set of swimmerets that are harder and larger than the others. The females have a broader belly that enables them to carry their broods.
The White Crawfish will breed quite quickly in captivity under optimal conditions. The female will care for the young for a few days after hatching. After that, it’s best to place the fry in a large, separate nursery tank. They are omnivores and will eat one another otherwise.
It is challenging to find ideal tankmates for the White Crawfish. If any fish or invertebrate comes within its grasp, it will eat it. Aquarium owners might experiment with fast fish that stay in the upper strata of the tank, but there is always a risk of them ending up dead.
The omnivorous nature of the crayfish makes them adept at cleaning away leftover meat and plant material and will scavenge any edible food they find on the tank floor. They even go so far as eating their molted skeletons as they grow.
Aquarium owners should also supplement their diets with high-quality flakes, dried algae, and sinking pellets.
Why are some crayfish white?
The White Crawfish is the only species endemic to Florida. They’re the result of selective breeding of the more common Electric Blue Crayfish. When paired with their blue cousins, their offspring can adopt the blue color.
Can you eat white crayfish?
Yes, you can. That said, there’s not much meat on the body of the White Crawfish. Most gourmands use the tail to make stocks, bisques, or chowders. In many places, the boiled head is also a delicacy.
If you wish to try this delicacy, season and boil the head and then suck out the interior.
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish but shipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be UPS Next Day Air unless otherwise noted. Processing fish for your order can take up to 2 business days. This is to ensure your fish and healthy, happy, and ready to be put in your tank when it arrives. We ship fish on Mondays- Wednesday (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping and ensure they are healthy prior to arrive at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensure they maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures the health and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only the continental United States.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive. We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense. If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.