The German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus Ramirez) is a freshwater fish species. They are naturally found on the Orinoco River basin in the savannahs of Venezuela and Colombia in South America. They are known as one of the best cichlids due to their peaceful nature and beautiful colors.
The German Blue Ram is a generally small cichlid that will grow to around 2 to 3 inches in length. These Rams live in shallow pools and streams with sandy beds and a lot of vegetation.
When setting up a tank, the German Blue Ram will appreciate a 20 gallon, heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places- one can use rocks or driftwood for this. The water parameters should be set to best mimic their natural environment. The water temperature should be 78°F to 85°F with a pH range of 6.0 to 7.5.
With good care and proper living conditions, the German Blue Ram can live up to 3 years.
Scientific name:Mikrogeophagus Ramirez
Common names: Blue ram, Asian ram, butterfly cichlid, Ramirez’s dwarf cichlid
Size: 2-3 inches
Origin: Colombia, South America
Care level: Intermediate
The German Blue Ram is an omnivore and will therefore appreciate both meat and plant foods. In the wild, the Rams feed on small insects or invertebrates and plant material floating in the surrounding waters.
In an Aquarium, some of their favorite foods include;
The German Blue Rams are generally peaceful fish. They can however become aggressive towards other fish when hiding places are lacking or when the female is tending eggs.
What fish can be kept with the German Blue Ram?
Being a peaceful species, the German Blue Ram is a perfect community fish and will get along with other similar-sized, non-aggressive fish.
Their most ideal tankmates are; Silver Dollars, Dwarf Gouramis, Discus, Plecostomus, Catfish, Cardinal, and Neon Tetras.
How big does the German Blue Ram get?
German Blue Rams are generally small fish. They will reach a length of two to three inches in an aquarium.
While this is a rare occurrence, it can and will happen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that every one will arrive alive or remain alive.We do ask that if your fish arrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag within 2 hours of the delivery time of your fish. We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem.
We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We can replace fish butshipping costs is the responsibilityof the buyer.If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures,within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolve the issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
Most Shipments will be 2-day unless otherwise noted. We shipfish on Mondays and Tuesdays only (excluding holidays) to ensure fish arrive before weekends. This allows us to completely prepare the fish for shipping andensure they are healthy prior to arriving at your door. All fish will be shipped with oxygenated water and specific additives in the water to ensurethey maintain their health and stability during shipment. Depending on the species of fish and current weather conditions, the fish may arrive with a heat pack or ice pack to maintain the optimal temperature which further ensures thehealth and safety of your fish. All costs of shipping (postage, packaging,heat/ice packs, etc.) are included in the Shipping fee. We ship to only thecontinental United States and are unable to ship to P.O. boxes, must bephysical address.
"The fish I received do not look like the fish in thepicture. Why is this?"
- We typically take photographs of one or two fish when we initially get them in. Since we have a large quantity of most of the various species of fish, it would be understandably impossible to provide a picture ofevery individual fish with a specific species. For some of our more rare orlarger fish, the picture listed may be the actual fish that you are receiving.If this is the case, it will be designated by ?WYSIWYG?, meaning ?what you see,is what you get?.
"What happens if my fish arrive dead?"
- While this is a rare occurrence, it can and willhappen from time to time. Fish are live animals and we cannot ensure that everyone will arrive alive or remain alive.We do ask that if your fisharrives dead (DOA), submit a picture of the deceased fish that is in the bag.We will work quickly with you to resolve the problem. We will offer replacement fish for any losses, but do not offer refunds at this time. We will reship any replacement fish at the buyer's expense.If you put the fish in your tank and it dies or is not acting properly, please contact us, with pictures, within 24 hours. We will again, do everything in our power to resolvethe issue and ensure that you have a great experience with these fish.
"What if I'm not home when the fish arrive?"
- We will always provide you with a tracking number. While the fish are packaged to survive about 72+ hours within the shipping containers, we do ask that you make arrangements to arrive home to inspect your fish as soon as possible after they are delivered to your home. Itis always suggested to provide an area for the delivery person to place the boxthat is out of direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
"What do I do with my fish once I've unpacked them?"
- Like you would with any new fish, let the entire bag float in your tank for 15-30 minutes. This allows the temperature withinthe bag to adjust to the same as your tank and will reduce temperature shock onthe fish. After this time, you can add all of the fish and water that is in thebag into your tank. The products used within the water for shipping will notharm any existing fish within your tank and actually makes the transition foryour new fish a bit easier. After this, expect your new fish to take a few daysto become fully adjusted, this includes hiding, floating at the top, sinking tothe bottom, and not eating. After a few days, your new fish should be acting aswimming like they normally would. At this point, enjoy your aquarium!
"I want to return my new fish because x,y,z?"
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accept returns.We do recommend contacting us via email with yourorder number and as much information as possible. We will try to assist you inresolving whatever the issue may be.
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish:What We Like About This Fish:⠀ Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums⠀ Compatible with many invertebrates⠀ Adults display brilliant red and blue coloration⠀ Active and easy to feed